How do you normally describe your product? Just speak whatever comes up in your mind or write with bullet points or make a long product page (BRD, PRD, MRD, FSD, TS, etc..)? Well, so many ways to describe your product. Does your product page take long time to create? Was it ignored after you spent so much time making your precious product pages and your stakeholder doesn’t see the value on it? In order to avoid these situation, you can try this method!
1. Press Release
Amazone ‘working backward’ approach. Here’s an example outline for the press release:
- Heading – Name the product in a way the reader (i.e. your target customers) will understand.
- Sub-Heading – Describe who the market for the product is and what benefit they get. One sentence only underneath the title.
- Summary – Give a summary of the product and the benefit. Assume the reader will not read anything else so make this paragraph good.
- Problem – Describe the problem your product solves.
- Solution – Describe how your product elegantly solves the problem.
- Quote from You – A quote from a spokesperson in your company.
- How to Get Started – Describe how easy it is to get started.
- Customer Quote – Provide a quote from a hypothetical customer that describes how they experienced the benefit.
- Closing and Call to Action – Wrap it up and give pointers where the reader should go next.
- from quora
I wrote my press release based on this frame. While I was writing it, I could read and understand the product in one page. You could picture your product from idea to execution with short amount of time and consumer end side as well. When product people make their product, it’s easy to focus on product more from product development side than consumer end side which is more important. Thus, this method will help you to make sure you see the both sides. I feel like lots of processes, work and stuffs? are getting lean thesedays. lean startup, lean methology, lean mean (even food!)..Anyway, it makes sense to be more effecient and practical especially in web business, one of the fast-changing industries.
2. Product Page
Product page should be short and sweet but make sure to include these points!
Eleavator Pitch is one sentence describing what the product does.
Core Objectives is to explain why you want to develop the product. Answer these questions first. ‘why my team should spend time on this product? is it worth for my team’s time? what’s long term benefit from the product? How the product will influence on our company as a whole? Would my stakeholder be interested in the product?
Strategic Insights is to describe how the product generate revenue specifically (of course, this also should be one sentence with bullet points) and further benefits for company. Be very specific and make your one sentence super compact!
Competition is to explain which company has similar product in the market and explain what kind of product they have and what is special about.
Challenges/Risks, what’s your concern about the product? write it all down and don’t be afraid to raise your concern. It’s better to expect all possible challenges and risks and prepare for it than ignore it for now and get worse in the future.
Recent Milestones, Metric Tracking, Roadmaps
Try to make it in 1ish page and remeber this is for internal use. So, think it thoroughly and write it down all important things for your team to think about before start any.